Link: Comic 249
Translations: http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Finnishflag.png Finnish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/52/Frenchflag.png French, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/57/Polishflag.png Polish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/0/04/Danishflag.png Danish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/7/79/Italianflag.gif Italian
Title: 'snow joke - part 5
Date: January 2, 2007
Summary: Intestinal gift exchanges lead to an unexpected escape from the snowman.
"Fin" style: Snowmen, with hats, scarfs and corncob pipes
Number of panels: 10
Beaver, Steve and the Christmas tree lie slumped in the belly of the snowman.
Beaver: "Oh well, at least we can still open our Christmas presents! Here's one for you!"
Steve: "Oh! Presents!"
Steve opens his presents and finds inside a large tub of grit, labelled "My first tub o' GRIT".
Steve: "Oh! Grit! How did you know?"
Beaver: "Let's just say a little bird told me..."
[2 Weeks Earlier...]
Beaver: (reading Steve's wishlist on Amazon.co.uk) "Hmmm...."
Steve: (excitedly SWOOSHing the open bucket of grit into the air)"WEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!"
Beaver: "Careful Steve! You'll spill it!"
The dropped bucket of grit HISS!es and CRACKLE!s on the ground.
Beaver: "See Steve, this is why you can't have nice things."
Snowman: (holding his BLOIK!ing belly) "Oh dear..."
The snowman's belly ruptures with a SPLOOOSH! and sends Beaver and Steve flying out in a jet of water.
Snowman: "I'm meltiiiiing!"
Beaver: "We did it! We're free! Christmas is saved!"
Steve: "Yay! Mincepies all round!"
Snowman: "Bah, humbug."
Steve notices his TWITCHing snowman on the ground, apparently having come out of Beaver's snowman's belly.
Steve: "And look! My snowman came alive too! This is the best Christmas ever!"
Steve's Snowman: "Kiiill meee..."
Steve: "Merry Christmas everyone!"
- Steve's grit seems to be minute rough granules, as of sand or stone.
- Spreading grit on snow is a common practice to stop from slipping.
- Although snow does melt when coated with a dark substance due to it absorbing more energy from the Sun, there was no sunlight inside the snowman's belly. Unfeasible!
- Amazon.co.uk don't sell grit, but do sell three audio CDs with that title.
- The last time Beaver and Steve played with pies it was in Comic 76, a guest strip by Joe Dunn
- Steve's snowman still has his carrot nose, although it was burped out by Beaver's snowman in Comic 246.
"Bah, humbug" is the phrase Ebenezer Scrooge uses to express his disgust with Christmas traditions.