Link: Comic 183
Translations: http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Finnishflag.png Finnish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/52/Frenchflag.png French, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/57/Polishflag.png Polish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/0/04/Danishflag.png Danish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/7/79/Italianflag.gif Italian
Title: baking up trouble - part 1
Date: May 22, 2006
Summary: Steve is "baking" (and accidentally summoning) a daemon.
Number of panels: 9
Steve is STIR!'ing some dough in a bowl, some of which SLOPP's outside.
Beaver: "Hey Steve! What are you up to today?"
Steve: "I am baking a CAKE"
Beaver: "Oh boy! Can I help? Do you need me to fetch any ingredients?"
Beaver is holding a bottle with 50ml of virgin's blood, and Steve reads a book while wearing reading glasses.
Steve: "Hmm... The recipe says I need 50ml of virgin's blood..."
Beaver: "Ooh - is that the new Atkins cook book?"
Steve: "No, it's..."
Steve shows Beaver the book with the text: "DÆMONIC SUMMONATION, a beginners guide (picture of yellow demon head) By J.K Rowling"
Steve puts the cake in the oven.
Beaver: "Oh well, you know what I always say: 'Waste not, want not'!"
Steve: "Good point Beaver! In it goes!"
Small picture showing Steve setting the timer on 45 minutes with several CLIK's.
Steve: "It needs to cook for 45 minutes..."
Small picture showing Steve TURN'ing the gas knob to 666.
Steve: "...at gas mark 666..."
Steve: "...And now we just have to wait!"
Picture showing Beaver and Steve by the oven, while the timer TIK's several times.
[45 minutes later]
The timer RIING's and a buffed-up version of the Daemon blasts out of the oven.
Daemon: "I HAVE RETURNED!"
Beaver: "Well I never would have seen that coming..."
- To summon a demon, you need to bake it in a cake (with 50ml of virgin's blood in it), at gas mark 666 (Number of the Beast) and cook it for 45 minutes.
- It seems Beaver always carries a 50ml bottle of virgin's blood around.
- Beaver makes a reference to the Atkins Diet, which has been a subject of controversy for many years.
- J. K. Rowling, the apparent author of "Dæmonic summonation, a beginner's guide" is most widely known as the author of the Harry Potter series.
- The Daemon bears a striking resemblance to Steve's Inner Demon.