Link: Comic 179
Translations: http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Finnishflag.png Finnish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/52/Frenchflag.png French, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/5/57/Polishflag.png Polish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/0/04/Danishflag.png Danish, http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/7/79/Italianflag.gif Italian
Title: 20,000 leeks under the sea - part 2
Date: April 17, 2006
Summary: Of poor voter turn-out, cannibalism and whales.
Number of panels: 6
Beaver, Steve and Timmy are still afloat on the open sea.
Steve: "After carefully counting and re-counting the votes, the results are now in..."
The text "CROSSED TURNIP FINGERS" points at Timmy's hand.
Timmy: "Come on, come oooon..."
Steve: "It was a disappointing 33% turn-out at the polls, but the result is unanimous: We have to kill and eat Beaver."
Timmy: "What?? I bet HE doesn't contain 135 mg of Potassium!"
Steve approaches Beaver with knife and fork ready.
Beaver: "Oh well, I guess you can't argue with Democracy!..."
[Meanwhile in the depths below, a huge shadow stirs...]
A great whale-like shadow LOOM!ing.
[It is nature's most majestic creation: Tuberosum Macrocephalus]
(the shadow's tail SWOOOSH!ing)
[Also known as...]
[The Potato Whale!]
The whale's potato-like appearance is revealed as it moves FORESHADOW!-ingly.
- Steve not only carries ballot papers and pens, but also a knife and fork.
- Turnips have 135 mg of Potassium ("per 100g serving of course." - James Turner)
- Even at sea, voter turnout is horrible.
- In Latin, "Tuberosum" means potato and "Macrocephalus" means whale, so the name is actually quite correct.
- The other ballots are in the water, as shown in the second panel, behind Steve.